Sunday, May 20, 2007

The Trials of Van Occupanther


I'm probably about 6 months behind the times, but there is a record I can't get enough of: Midlake's The Trials of Van Occupanther. I have a deep and abiding love of America and other 70's bands of that ilk, and this record reminds me so much of that (seriously, if you've gone for hours with "Horse With No Name" stuck in your head, and it didn't bother you, this record is for you). I haven't even started listening to the other stuff I downloaded from eMusic this month because of this album. It's warm and understanding and full of longing. His voice sounds VERY similar to Rufus Wainright's, but he uses it differently. Midlake is more reigned in.

Life marches on. I'm reading, madly making jewelry for a sale next month, listening to great tunes... I can't complain. The Art Stroll this past week was wonderful. Perfect weather, nice people around the square, 2 beers on the Humphrey's patio with ex-coworkers (we shared stories from what may be our 'Nam and talked about "life on the outside"). It was also fantastic to stroll around casually without being stuck behind a table selling things, as I probably will be in June. I'm hoping to make enough to get a Bose Sound Dock. We'll see.

I'm going to read in bed for a while before officially waving good-bye to my weekend. I'll have to say, though, it's really nice not dreading Monday. After 6 months, I'm still not completely used to that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home