Thursday, June 15, 2006

Pink Panther's Penthouse Party!

I think I've found my official album of summer. It's a compilation released last year called "Pink Panther's Penthouse Party." I believe it was released to commemorate some sort of anniversary of the original film, plus raise interest in the Steve Martin movie that came out a while ago (I didn't see it - it didn't look great). Here's the track listing:

1. Pink Panther Theme - Henry Mancini
2. Panther Theme (Fischerspooner Remix) - Henry Mancini
3. Fever (Gabin Remix) - Peggy Lee
4. Corazon - Titan
5. Smokebomb - Ursula 1000
6. The Girl From Ipanema - Pizzicato Five
7. Weapon Of Choice - Fatboy Slim
8. Sacre Francais - Dmitri From Paris
9. Summer Sun - Koop (featuring Yukimi Nagano)
10. Bachelor Pad - Fantastic Plastic Machine
11. Voulez Vous? - Arling & Cameron
12. The Pink Panther Theme - Colored by St. Germain
13. San Antonio - Kinky
14. Shot In The Dark/Peter Gunn (Under The Gunn Mix) - Chris Mancini & Lennart
15. Bossa Per Due - Nicola Conte
16. Intraspettro - Les Hommes
17. Tres Tres Chic - Mocean Worker
18. The Pink Panther Theme (Malibu Remix) - Henry Mancini
A lot of it is French electronica, and it's all downtempo, so if you don't like this genre, stay away. There are 2 not-so-good remixes of Mancini's Pink Panther Theme; they are definitely the weak links on this record. The Fischerspooner Peggy Lee remix is fantastic. Normally I don't think you should mess with perfection, but occasionally something really inspired can come out of it. I like this version as much as the original. Arling & Cameron's sly, sleazy "Voulez Vous?" is another one of my favorite tracks, as well as Fatboy Slim's "Weapon of Choice" (remember the brilliant video featuring a tap-dancing, gymnastic, flying Christopher Walken?) and Pizzicato Five's take on "The Girl from Ipanema." The stand-out track is, in my opinion, Koop's ecstatic "Summer Sun." It makes me nostalgic for times that may not have even happened. The songs I haven't mentioned are far from filler tracks - this is a killer CD, from beginning to end.
In the unlikely event that I befriend someone with a pool before the end of the summer, I know what CD we'll be playing. It's also excellent background music for a very, very cool cocktail party. I've only ever seen one copy at local stores, so it will probably be most easily found online.
I'm also enjoying some mix CD's that Rosalie left me. Heard a Polyphonic Spree song that I haven't listened to in way too long. Good friends who provide you with good music are VERY RARE. Cherish them.
And...scene.

1 Comments:

Blogger Trouble said...

What marvelous taste in music you have!

May I recommend: Lounge-A-Palooza

A compilation that dates back to the '90s, sure, but! Pizzacato "Five's Girl From Ipanema" and Steve and Edie doing "Black Hole Sun".

I think you'll dig it.

1:34 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home