Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Her name was Lola. She was a showgirl.

The past few days have been a blur of being idle, spending frivolously, and eating food that my digestive system isn't entirely ok with. Rosalie came in from Phoenix, and I hadn't seen her in almost a year, so we got to catch up. It's so good to catch up with your oldest friends - these are the people who knew you when you were at your ugliest (13 for me), and most obnoxious (a long Monty Python phase that lasted from 9th thru 11th grade for me), and still weren't embarrassed to be seen publicly with you. You have to hold them dear for that alone.
Also, just in time for summer, Rosalie hooked me up with a shitload of new downtempo music - Gotan Project, a cpl of volumes of Mushroom Jazz, Astrud Gilberto... downtempo is always my favorite summer music. I think everyone should listen to freewheeling, carefree, booty-shaking music every once in a while. It cleanses the soul. Someone very wise (George Clinton) once said, "Let your mind go, and your ass will follow."
Included in the frivolous spending was a trip to the Bath and Body Works sale - I haven't been in that store in MONTHS, and since long, hot baths are apparently becoming part of my daily routine (see previous entry in which I gush about my huge clawfoot bathtub), I dropped a little cash there on bubble bath. I don't think I can specifically put my finger on a lot of things that make my life better, but baths definitely do. My favorite flavor is Copa Cabana - er, sorry: Coco Cabana. I've never been much of a coconut person in the past, but in the bath, this stuff smells divine. Plus it's partially named after a Barry Manilow song...
Rosalie left yesterday (sniff sniff), so I spent most of last night playing catch-up and getting my life back into pre-vacation order. I cleaned my apartment, did laundry, straightened... it's sad that vacation is over, but nice that I can find things again. I'm also pleasantly surprised to discover that I like my life enough to not hate getting back into it post-vacation. My job is, for the most part, pleasant and bearable (which is more than a lot of people can say), my friends are amazing, and I have enough initiative and creativity to keep myself busy doing the things that I love. I LOVE BEING ALONE. And did I mention my bathtub?
I'm taking a trip to Phoenix later in the year when it isn't so hot. Phoenix contains Rosalie, Angela, Pita Jungle, the world's biggest bead store (at least I'm pretty sure it's the biggest), fantastic nightlife, and the best shopping anywhere. I should probably start saving... now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home