Thursday, May 18, 2006

Surrounded by Churchbells

My new apartment is amazing. I am slowly getting used to the frequent noises of trains and churchbells. There are no less than 3 churches on my street, which I love, and 5 more on the blocks that surround my street. It makes parking on Sunday mornings a bit difficult sometimes, but only for a cpl of hours. Besides the church bells, trains, and the occasional (loud) siren, it's completely quiet. So far, I've experienced few, if any, drawbacks to living in an old mansion converted into apartments. My street is beautiful, and, because I live next door (on one side) to offices, that's a whole slew of neighbors who simply aren't there to be annoying (or annoyed by me, which is almost worse). Nothing has freaked me out or made me uneasy yet,which is good. I feel totally safe there. The street is like a ghost town at night. I've only met one man who lives in the place, and he's barely around. Another guy works out of town for something like 80% of the time, so he's never there, either.
My mom did a little research on the house while at work, and she found out that it's been apartments since at least the 1940's, which is as far back as she got. It's so strange to think of people in the 50's living in my apartment. I wonder who lived there during WWII... She even found specific names of ppl who have lived in my particular apartment. Looks like they were all working, single women.
In other news, my brother graduates from high school later today. That doesn't seem right. I'm 11 yrs older than him, so in my mind, he'll always be a skinny 10-yr-old with messy brown hair playing his Gameboy. Seeing him in a cap and gown will be bizarre, to say the least. I really hope I don't cry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home